CRAFT COMMUNITY 2011: 12 - 25 August 2011
In March 2011, POPIN organized a craft event called Craft Tea Party where people were invited to sit on a large patchwork rug and experience the joy of making in a communal environment over a cup of tea and biscuits. The large patchwork rug used at the Craft Tea Party, which is a result of over forty volunteers taking part in the initial stage of the project, will be exhibited together with a video recording of the event.
During the two week exhibition, a series of craft sessions will be organized. The craft sessions will provide an opportunity for the participants to experience craft as a communication tool where strangers can engage in the common language of making. The participants will be asked to make a small textile piece which will then be patched together to form a smaller version of the patchwork rug exhibited in the gallery.
About the craft sessions:
1. Total of ten craft sessions will be held during the two week exhibition period. Each session will run for 2.5 hours and can cater up to six participants. Participants are asked to pre-book a slot for the craft sessions (please refer to the attached flyer for dates and times of each craft sessions).
2. Each participant will be given a square piece of material (20cm x 20cm) which they can work on for 20-25 minutes using the craft materials provided.
3. After the 20-25 minutes, the participants will be asked to pass the square piece of fabric to the participant sitting next to them. The next participant will carry on working on the square piece of fabric for another 20-25 minutes. This will carry on until all the participants have had a chance to work on each others square pieces of fabric.
4. At the end of each session, the square pieces of fabric will be collected and patched together by the POPIN members to start forming a small patchwork rug.
5. The small patchwork rug will be shown in the exhibition space together with the large patchwork rug and will keep growing as more pieces are stitched together after each craft session.
Craft sessions are free of charge but require pre-booking. Please email preferred craft sessions to email@example.com.
Sat 13 August: 10am - 12.30pm & 2pm - 4.30pm
Sun 14 August: 10am - 12.30pm & 2pm - 4.30pm
Tue 16 August: 10am - 12.30pm
Thu 18 August: 2pm - 4.30pm
Sat 20 August: 10am - 12.30pm & 2pm - 4.30pm
Sun 21 August: 10am - 12.30pm & 2pm - 4.30pm
Venue: Praxis Space, LaSalle College of the Arts, 1 McNally Street, Singapore 187940, www.lasalle.edu.sg